About The Fire Department

                                                            

 

The Gila River Fire Department was established by GRIC between 1955 and 1962 as a volunteer fire agency over the large land base of 584 sq mi. As economic development and contemporary challenges increased on the community, GRIC recognized the need for a full-time professional fire department.  In 1995, Governor Mary Thomas and former Blackwater volunteer fire chief Cecil Antone, ushered in the transition of the volunteer agency to a professionally trained organization that was designed to meet the dynamic fire/rescue/ems needs of the community.  The Fire Department was equipped with the ability to adapt to the emergencies of all people within the community and to our neighboring mutual-aid partners when necessary.

 

Fire Chief Kathy Garcia

Our History

The History of our Badge