Community outreach focuses on developing a relationship between the Gila River Police Department and the community it serves. By Interacting with our community and developing strong relationships, we can build a mutual trust. When that trust is built, we can reduce crime and make the Gila River Indian Community a safe and vibrant community for everyone.
Gila River Police Citizens Academy
Gila River Police Citizens Academy Accepting Applications
The goal of the Gila River Citizens Police Academy (CPA) is to build a bridge between members of the police department and the Gila River Indian Community it serves. The CPA will also help build a positive relationship between the community while improving the lines of communication. During the 9-week program, participants experience a civilian adapted version of the police academy.
The CPA meets one night a week for 2 hours and one Saturday that is scheduled for 8 hours. Some classes maybe extended. You may not miss more than two classes. Graduates of this program gain a unique insight into the life and training of a law enforcement officer. Some topics are as follows:
- Criminal Investigations
- Professional Standards
- K-9 Programs
- Property & Evidence
Class meets each Wednesday from 6pm until 8pm, unless otherwise noted.
WE JUST COMPLETED CLASS 2023. STAY TUNED IN EARLY 2024 FOR THE NEXT CLASS!
How To Apply:
To be eligible to apply you must:
- Be a member of the Gila River Indian Community
- Or be spouse of a Gila River Indian Community member and living within the Community
- 18 years old or older
- Have no felony or misdemeanor convictions.
- All applicants must submit to a background check.
To apply for the Gila River Citizens Police Academy – Click here
Please email completed applications to: Teaya.Enos.GRPD@gric.nsn.us
Citizen Observer/Ride Along Program
Welcome to the Gila River Police Department's Citizen Observer/Ride Along Program
Discover a unique opportunity to engage with the Gila River Police Department and gain a deeper insight into our Community Oriented Policing philosophy. Our Citizen Observer/Ride Along Program offers you a chance to experience the day-to-day activities of our dedicated Police Officers and 911 Dispatchers as they work tirelessly to keep our community safe.
What is the Citizen Observer/Ride Along Program?
This program is designed to promote transparency and build trust within our community. Participants have the opportunity to shadow our Police Officers and 911 Dispatchers, gaining a firsthand understanding of the vital roles they play in maintaining the security and well-being of the Gila River Indian Community. Here's what you can expect:
Police Officer Observations:
- Ride along with an officer on patrol.
- Observe officers responding to calls for service.
- Observe officers interacting with community members and make citizen contacts.
- Observe the daily duties and challenges faced by our officers.
- Tour our Communications Center.
- Sit with a Dispatcher and observe how calls for service are processed.
- Gain insights into the critical role Dispatchers play in coordinating emergency responses.
How to Participate:
To join us for a ride along or Dispatch observation, please follow these steps:
- Contact the Gila River Police Department at (520) 562-7114 at least five working days before your desired date.
- Fill out the necessary request forms/waivers, which will then follow the proper chain of command for processing.
- Provide valid identification and consent to a Wants/Warrants check to ensure everyone's safety.
- You can also download the form, complete it and return it to the Gila River Police Department five working days before your desired date.
Your Safety is Our Top Priority:
Please note that the safety of our Citizen Observers is of paramount importance to us. Our on-duty supervisor retains the discretion to terminate a ride along at any point to safeguard everyone involved.
We invite you to take advantage of this unique opportunity to connect with the Gila River Police Department, learn about our commitment to community-oriented policing, and contribute to a safer and more informed community. We look forward to welcoming you to the Gila River Police Department's Citizen Observer/Ride Along Program.
Community Block Watch
A Block Watch is a partnership between GRIC residents, neighborhoods and Law Enforcement. It creates an environment where you can openly share information, and your concerns, to help improve safety and prevent crime. Organizing a Block Watch opens the lines of communication between neighbors and creates a systematic way of alerting your neighborhood of suspicious activity.
A Block Watch doesn’t require you to perform any special tasks, go to a lot of meetings, or take on extra responsibilities. You also don’t have to patrol the neighborhood. All it requires is that you and your neighbors be familiar enough with each other to know who belongs in the neighborhood and who doesn’t; which cars are a part of the neighborhood and which aren’t; recognize when something suspicious is going on and being a little more observant of changes in your surroundings. It also requires that when you see something suspicious, you alert each other and you alert police.
Residents who are interested in starting a block watch in their neighborhood can contact the Gila River Police Department.
Contact: Sgt. Celestina Perez
Phone: (520) 562-5198
Information Coming Soon!
Coffee With a Cop
Information Coming Soon!